Monetization of VR and AR: where are the hidden features?
Despite a large number of successful cases involving AR/VR technologies, not everyone can see the prospects for their monetization. Popularity of Pokemon GO was considered by some people as an isolated case, the first and the last peak of which alternative reality managed to get to. Popular argument here is 3D TV.
However, AR and VR technologies are already used in a number of sectors, bringing quite big profit. There are inaccessible yet very promising fields.
Essential sectors for monetization:
- as a marketing tool that attracts greater attention;
- sale and rent of the devices for watching and creation of AR/VR content;
- creation and support of the content (apps, games, movies, etc.);
- as a sales tool. There are VR shops, where models of goods are stored. Customers can examine each item from all angels; the same technology is being implemented in real estate. AR is used for trying on clothes and accessories, furniture, etc. (it is already applied by large corporations).
- TV and mass media. Such companies as Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Spotify are already exploring the niche;
- mass marketing. When the devices will become more widespread and media and television will form AR/VR media market;
- buying and selling of virtual objects. From game modifications to virtual cities or even universes.
This is only a small part of monetization possibilities provided by augmented and virtual reality. The issue will be considered in much more detail at AR Conference in Moscow on November 30, 2016.
Subscribe to news
Keep up to date with the news industry, receives only useful information